I-20 Form : What, Why, and How to Get?
Are you planning to apply for a student visa in the United States? If yes, then you might have heard about an I-20 form. Do you know what it is, who needs it, what it requires, and how to obtain it? If not, then you might be pondering the answers. Well, you are luckily on the right page because we have mentioned each and every detail regarding the I-20 form in this blog. So, begin reading and exploring all of the information.
|Table of Contents|
The I-20 form is basically for F1 and M1 students who want to study in the USA. The form is issued by authorized universities and colleges in the USA. Well, what does this form show? It shows that the students are legitimate. Obtaining an I-20 form is thus an important step toward obtaining a student visa. With the help of this form, you can get your visa, after which you can get your license or social security number. In addition, you will also be able to work on or off -20I-20 forms, one for F1 students and the other for M1 students, as shown below:
Form I-20 for non-immigrant (F1) student status: It is a certificate of eligibility for academic and language students.
Form I-20 for non-immigrant (M1) student status: It is a certificate of eligibility for vocational students.
Do you know what the I-20 form looks like? What information does it provide? If you want to know the information contained in the I-20 form, make sure to have a look at the points below:
1. Personal Information: The the top of the I-20 form, the personal details of the candidates are given. In this portion, the details of your surname, the name given, your preferred name, passport name, country of birth, country of citizenship, date of birth, admission number, form issue number and legacy name are mentioned.
2. School Information: As the pointer suggests, this portion contains information related to the school. This section lies below the personal information section and contains the information of school name, school address, school contact details, and school code and approval date.
3. Program of Study: This is the third section of the I-20 form and includes information on the educational level, starting date of the class, ending date of the class and earliest admission date. Moreover, it also contains information on whether English language proficiency is required or not.
4. Financial Details: This section comes after the program of the study section and contains information about the estimated cost required for tuition fees, living expenses and other expenses. Besides this, the section also includes the details of the funds such as the scholarship and funds from other sources and on-campus employment. On the left side, the estimation of 9 months is given and on the right side, the breakdown based on the documentation submitted by the student is given.
5. Remarks: It is the second last section of the I-20 form in which a blank space is given for the remarks.
6. Attestation: Now, this section includes two parts, attestation from the school and attestation from the students. You have to read the attestation carefully. After verifying the information you can sign the form. However, if you are below 18, your parents need to do a signature on the form.
Getting into the university of your choice in the United States is a very exciting thing. However, do you know the procedure for getting an I-20 form after being approved by the university or college? If not, then have a look at the points given below:
After you get accepted into a SEVP-certified institution, your DSO(Designated School Official) will provide you with an I-20 form.
After that, you will be registered in SEVIS and you need to pay the SEVIS I-901 fee.
After registration, an I-20 form will be issued to you by the institution.
Ques 1) How many types of I-20 are there for students who want to study in the USA?
Ans) There are two types of I-20 forms, one for F1 students and the other for M1 students.
Ques 2) What type of information is given on the I-20 form?
Ans) An I-20 form contains personal information, school information, a program of study and financial details.
Ques 3) In which section is the information of passport name and date of birth given in an I-20 form?
Ans) The information about your passport name and date of birth is given in the personal information section of an I-20 form.
Ques 4) Is it required to pay a SEVIS I-901 fee to get an I-20 form?
Ans) Yes, after getting registered in SEVIS, you are required to pay the SEVIS I-901 fee.
Ques 5) Can I get a new I-20 form?
Ans) Yes, you can get a new I-20 form from the DSO in case the form is stolen or lost or there are some changes in your student status or personal details.
In the end, this was some crucial information regarding an I-20 form. We hope your every doubt you in this form will be cleared after reading this blog. If you still have questions, you can contact reputable consultants who specialize in the USA study visa process.